Below, the secret to his risotto ai funghi.
Valentino’s Mushroom Risotto
20 medium-size fresh morel mushrooms
2 tbsp unsalted butter, plus more for cooking mushrooms
5 1/2 c chicken stock
1/2 lb chanterelle mushrooms
1/2 lb porcini mushrooms
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
3/4 c white wine
1 1/4 c carnaroli rice
2.5 oz mascarpone cheese
6 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Sweat the morels in a little butter; do not let them brown. Add 1/2 cup chicken stock and braise them until tender. Pan-fry the chanterelles and porcinis in a little butter and a pinch of salt. Sauté the onion in 2 tbsp butter for 5 minutes. Add the white wine and let it cook away completely. Add the rice and stir until the grains are coated. Add a ladleful of chicken stock and let it cook away, stirring. Continue adding ladlefuls of stock, stirring, allowing it to cook away before the next addition. When all the stock is cooked away, add the mascarpone and Parmesan; adjust seasoning if needed.
To serve, spread the risotto in a dish and garnish with the mushrooms, jamón ibérico shavings and parmesan shavings. Serves 6.
More to explore in Entertaining
- Entertaining 12.9.19 Entertaining with an Entrepreneurial Twist
- Entertaining 12.2.19 How-Tos: Seven Tips for Creating the Ultimate Holiday Tablescape
- Entertaining 11.27.19 Tory On: Thanksgiving Preparations
- Entertaining 11.27.19 Are Flowers The New Zodiac Signs?
- Entertaining 11.26.19 A Tory Burch Thanksgiving in Milan