Day in the Life: Alex Kramer
- 6:30 AM
- Dolly Parton said it best: Tumble outta bed and I stumble to the kitchen. Pour myself a cup of ambition. And yawnin’, stretchin’, try to come to life.
- 6:45 AM
- Get my kids ready for school. My 11-year-old daughter bounces out of bed while my nine-year-old son requires a drill sergeant-like pep talk.
- 7:25 AM
- Say goodbye. Push the little ones out the door.
- 8:00 AM
- Shower and dress.
- 9:00 AM
- Walk to my office (a.k.a. my dining room) and sort through emails. Make sure my sketches, flats and fabrics are ready for my pattern-maker.
- 10:00 AM
- My pattern-maker and seamstress arrive.
- 10:30 AM
- Field requests from my production team, my accountant, sales person and PR team. There are always questions that need answering.
- 1:00 PM
- I have a bite to eat — something simple from the kitchen because I don’t have much time. This brand is my baby and I need to make sure she is well taken care of.
- 2:00 PM
- Garment District. Run from factory to fabric vendor, checking on production.
- 5:30 PM
- Arrive home and quickly go over with my pattern-maker and seamstress what they have done for the day before they leave.
- 6:00 PM
- Make sure the kids do their homework, shower, brush their teeth and get ready for bed.
- 8:00 PM
- Order dinner from Serafina and try to eat before 9 PM, which doesn’t always happen because that’s bedtime and my kids need a lot of encouragement to actually get in bed and go to sleep. I swear they’d stay up every night until 1 AM if they could.
- 9:00 PM
- The witching hour. My least favorite part of the day. The battle for bed, as I call it.
- 10:00 PM
- ME TIME!!! Grab my laptop in bed and review work emails and design patterns with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. I know it seems like more work, but being creative is therapeutic for me so I love the quiet time to focus alone.
- 11:30 PM
- Watch a movie or a DVR-ed TV show (Boss, Homeland or even Lost reruns) and then hit the hay.
More to explore in Style
- Style 5.11.23 Mother’s Day: Life is a Beach for Michelle Li
- Style 5.11.23 Mother’s Day: Elissa Santisi & Franny Keller
- Style 5.9.23 Mother’s Day: Carla Rockmore Follows Her Inspiration
- Style 5.8.23 Mother’s Day: Telsha Anderson-Boone is Building a Legacy
- Style 5.2.23 Mother’s Day: Becky Malinsky Wants to Finish ‘The Power Broker’