Rodeo Drive, host to our newest flagship, has had its memorable moments on film: when a certain Pretty Woman went on a shopping spree, for instance. For a lesser-known — but equally unforgettable — portrait of the iconic Beverly Hills stretch, we take a flashback to three decades ago. Photographer and Vietnam war vet Anthony Hernandez was inspired to take his first ever color images by the bustling everyday scene. The result? MACK’s Rodeo Drive, 1984 book, a 41-shot series documenting shoppers in the heady excess of 1984 — daydreaming, unaware or caught mid-conversation.
For more features from our L.A. Issue, click here.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture 3.17.23 What’s Your Sign? Aries
- Culture 3.15.23 Calling All Women Entrepreneurs
- Culture 3.8.23 Tory On: International Women’s Day
- Culture 2.17.23 What’s Your Sign? Pisces
- Culture 1.30.23 Good Vibrations