Book of the Week: Blow-Up
Back when women were still referred to as “birds,” Michelangelo Antonioni filmed his art-house masterpiece Blow-Up. Inspired by a fictional murder mystery and the life of famed fashion photographer David Bailey, the 1966 movie can feel a little fantastical today, but it’s high style — both film- and fashion-wise — always looks and feels modern. Then there’s the dream cast: Vanessa Redgrave, David Hemmings, Jane Birkin, Veruschka and Sarah Miles. Birkin, Miles and Veruschka were part of a new generation of plugged-in models and actresses often referred to as “Birds of Britain,” recognizable by their glossy straight hair, eternal pouts and dewy, doe-eyes. While their title might be antiquated, their look is anything but dated.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture 3.17.23 What’s Your Sign? Aries
- Culture 3.15.23 Calling All Women Entrepreneurs
- Culture 3.8.23 Tory On: International Women’s Day
- Culture 2.17.23 What’s Your Sign? Pisces
- Culture 1.30.23 Good Vibrations