At first glance, there’s something decidedly more serene about these new floral works, which were inspired by the roses growing in the cemetery near Van Gogh’s grave in Auvers-sur-Oise, France, the jagged pieces rising from the canvas not unlike the thick swipes and globs of tactile paint you see from other artists. But when you come a little closer and realize these are fractured remains, you wonder: Are they plates shattered in violence or tears? Or perhaps in — opa! — celebration? If you’re the kind of art lover who likes to mull over these things, then check out more of Schnabel’s work here and track the evolution of this series.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture 3.17.23 What’s Your Sign? Aries
- Culture 3.15.23 Calling All Women Entrepreneurs
- Culture 3.8.23 Tory On: International Women’s Day
- Culture 2.17.23 What’s Your Sign? Pisces
- Culture 1.30.23 Good Vibrations