Wondering about the shape of things to come this season? Here’s one word for you: peplum. It’s that little flounce at the waist that gives some classic feminine pep to jackets, dresses and sweaters. Plus, its universally flattering, waist-defining powers make it the detail de rigeur for fall.
Proportions are key to tapping into this vintage-inspired trend: a slim pant or skirt plays up the flared hip. To try it out, choose an easy, versatile piece like our Madeline Sweater. For the perfect girl-meets-boy mix, pair it with leather skinny pants in modern, monochromatic black. Or, go for a patterned pencil skirt in shades of camel — peplum and plaid are a natural match. Another option? Bright color. The all-over red of this houndstooth skirt creates a streamlined silhouette that makes the hourglass-accentuating top really pop.
More to explore in Style
- Style 1.10.20 You Know The Drille… Or Do You?
- Style 1.9.20 Editors’ Mood Board: A Collage That Pays Tribute to a Crafty Collection
- Style 12.31.19 An Exclusive New Year’s Eve Comic from Your New Favorite Cartoonist
- Style 12.18.19 The Teddy Coat That Le Tout Instagram is Obsessed With
- Style 12.16.19 Last-Minute but First-Class: A Very Special Holiday Gift Selection