“Dodie Thayer was a true American icon. Her artistry was as remarkable as her life story: She was self taught, a true entrepreneur — she perfected her craft and taught others how to mold beautiful pottery from ordinary cabbage leaves. In 2013, I had the honor of visiting Dodie at her home in Florida. There are so many things that I learned from her, so many words of wisdom: One thing she said to us as we left was to ‘Try different things. Respect nature. Be self-reliant.’ Spending time with Dodie Thayer showed me that she lived by these words and we will always cherish all of the beautiful lettuce ware she created.
“Donations can be made in Dodie Thayer’s name to Lighthouse ArtCenter School of Art, which she co-founded.” — Tory
More to explore in Entertaining
- Entertaining 1.14.20 Cocktail of the Month: New Year, Timeless Margarita
- Entertaining 1.13.20 At Home—To The Very Max—With Tory Burch’s Filipa De Abreau
- Entertaining 12.19.19 A Creative Director’s Take on the Holiday Table
- Entertaining 12.9.19 Entertaining with an Entrepreneurial Twist
- Entertaining 12.2.19 How-Tos: Seven Tips for Creating the Ultimate Holiday Tablescape