That’s not to say that Schwartzman has put down the proverbial instrument; a musical thread has carried throughout his acting career. He wrote and performed the theme song for HBO comedy Bored to Death, in which he played a struggling writer and private detective. He co-created the classical music comedy series Mozart in the Jungle for Amazon, now with an upcoming fourth season. And he also hosts a monthly radio show for SiriusXMU, dubbed Coconut Radio.
Every third Thursday of the month at 6 PM, Schwartzman spends an hour exposing his musical roots on the airwaves. Whatever he’s been listening to of late, old or new, is fair game. As Schwartzman sums it up, the show centers on “playing songs that I love by bands that I love for people that I don’t know.” And it comes complete with introductory commentary, more of that signature dry humor and the odd guest appearance — earning a devoted following here in the TB offices.
More to explore in Music
- Music 4.2.20 The New Global Songbook
- Music 3.31.20 These Digital Dance Parties are The Ultimate Release
- Music 3.20.20 DJ Mad Marj is Here for Your Living Room Dance Party
- Music 2.13.20 A Playlist Influenced by the Fall/Winter 2020 Soundtrack
- Music 2.10.20 Alice Smith Brought Down The House at Fall/Winter 2020