Alex Katz’s new exhibit in Paris opens today at Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac’s outpost in Pantin, in the city’s northeast quarters. It’s a deep dive into his oeuvre in portraiture, with some hundred works dating back 45 years — from his outsize paintings to his aluminum cutouts, iconic works to the lesser-known sketches. For those in the midst (and madness) of Paris Fashion Week, the exhibit offers the perfect cultural escape. Not in the City of Light? You can still soak in the Brooklyn artist’s intense colors and deceptively reductive style; he currently has a show at Mattatuck Museum in Connecticut and another opening at London’s Timothy Taylor Gallery in three weeks.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture 12.3.19 Dine like Igor Stravinsky
- Culture 11.22.19 Your Year-End Horoscope is Here!
- Culture 11.19.19 Tory On: Women’s Entrepreneurship Day
- Culture 11.17.19 Why it’s So Hard to Get a Seat at Tokyo Chef Natsuko Shoji’s Table
- Culture 11.14.19 Get to Know the Woman Behind Sydney’s Buzziest Contemporary Arts Hub