As Peter Beard celebrates his birthday today, why not lose yourself in his legacy
with the newly reissued Into the Wild, which chronicles his romance with Kenya — all 706 pages worth?
The book documents both the African wilderness and a man’s fascination with it, transforming already powerful scenes through the photographer’s signature mixed-media manipulation and collage work. The result is both commanding and electrifying: breathtaking (and at times shocking) photographs mixed in with diary entries, ephemera and newspaper clippings, plus a shot of high glamour with appearances by Veruschka, Mick Jagger, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Andy Warhol…
More to explore in Culture
- Culture 12.3.19 Dine like Igor Stravinsky
- Culture 11.22.19 Your Year-End Horoscope is Here!
- Culture 11.19.19 Tory On: Women’s Entrepreneurship Day
- Culture 11.17.19 Why it’s So Hard to Get a Seat at Tokyo Chef Natsuko Shoji’s Table
- Culture 11.14.19 Get to Know the Woman Behind Sydney’s Buzziest Contemporary Arts Hub