To mark the new Frida Kahlo exhibit at London’s Victoria & Albert Museum, Frida Kahlo: Making Her Self Up — which features her personal belongings, from jewelry and cosmetics to clothing and her booted prosthetic leg — here are some of our favorite quotes from the legendary artist.
“Nothing is worth more than laughter. It is strength to laugh and to abandon oneself, to be light.”
“Feet, what do I need you for when I have wings to fly?”
“Perhaps they expect me to wail and moan about ‘how much I suffer,’ living with a man like Diego. But I don’t think that the banks of a river suffer by letting it flow…”
“Every tick-tock is a second of life that passes by, that flees never to repeat itself. And it holds such intensity, such interest that the only problem is knowing how to live. May each person solve it as best they can.”
“I am not sick. I am broken. But I am happy to be alive as long as I can paint.”
More to explore in Culture
- Culture 1.17.20 Exploring the World through Vivian Suter’s Gorgeous Brushstrokes
- Culture 1.15.20 Here’s The Book That’s Coming On Your Next Getaway
- Culture 12.25.19 From Us to You — ♡♡♡
- Culture 12.24.19 A Festive Word (and Drawing) From One of Our Instagram Obsessions
- Culture 12.22.19 Say goodbye to 2019 and hello to your new horoscope!