The Tory Daily editors break down the runway trends for Spring/Summer 2019.
WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS
Ask for some orange and green, too. Spring’s bold citrus hues brighten and balance the neutrals, in charming bird-print pants and dresses, striped tunics and scarves and delicate embroidery on airy white cotton dresses.
Head toward neutral territory, too: crisp summer whites, subtle off-whites and every shade between beige and khaki.
Silhouettes are generously cut and underscored with a bohemian ease: voluminous caftans, oversized tops, roomy jackets, pajama-like pants, full skirts… The point? Just relax.
From belted shirtdresses to nipped-waist safari looks, the season highlights the tailored style of a button-down.
Everyone could use a good love story. Buddy used to hide letters to Reva in the want ads of the local newspaper. For Spring/Summer 2019, some of his missives are embroidered into white and cream guipure lace dresses, gowns and tunics. One of our favorites is “Backseat Angel…You keep us awake playing oldies into the late.” Sigh.
The linear motifs come every which way, from nautical and multicolor styles to spliced patterns and broad shadow strips — all inspired by the relaxed summer shirts and a blazer worn by Tory’s father, Buddy.
More to explore in Style
- Style 10.18.19 Dancer Aoi Yamada on the Power of Performance
- Style 10.16.19 #DestinationAnywhere: Packing with Paravel’s Indre Rockefeller
- Style 10.15.19 Most Wanted: The Lee Radziwill Double Bag
- Style 10.11.19 A History of the International Best Dressed List
- Style 10.9.19 Something Old, Something New with Stylist José Ramón Reyes