After a career in journalism, Blue Carreon is taking the full plunge into his second act: home accessories designer. Not only does he have a store in his native Manila, but he recently opened an outpost in East Hampton — and that’s in addition to a number of retail accounts, including Bergdorf Goodman. Here, as the summer winds down, Carreon shares his top entertaining tips — just in time for the long Labor Day weekend.
My decor style is…
Layered and collected, with a European bent.
My design influences…
Jacques Garcia for his take on opulence. Tony Duquette for his mastery of maximalism. Jean-Louis Deniot for his singular take on Parisian flair. And Carolyne Roehm and Charlotte Moss for gracious living and entertaining, and their love of flowers and gardens.
1. Flowers are always the starting point for me, whether they are from a florist, a bodega or cuttings from my garden. They dictate the color scheme.
2. Bring out the special occasion pieces every now and then, even if it’s just a casual Chinese take-out dinner for two at home.
3. Always add an element of surprise. I like to add brass creatures, like our brass ants and butterflies. They make for great conversation starters, too.
My insider tip when it comes to seating…
I designed a seating chart that’s inspired by a scene from the movie I Am Love — it’s part of my home collection. However, mine is made from shagreen and brass, has magnetized pieces and an erasable chalkboard surface. It’s fun and kind of like a seating board game.
And to kick-start the conversation…
Pass around flutes and flutes of champagne to make everyone relaxed and not shy. I also like to introduce people and state briefly what they do or where they’ve traveled to recently so there’ll be points of conversations between strangers.
To make everyone feel at home and at ease — and, to do this, if you’re the host or hostess, you shouldn’t be frazzled.
My Labor Day plans…
I will be hosting a poolside party at our house in East Hampton to celebrate my 40th birthday. It’ll be two weeks later than my actual birthday but better late than never.
More to explore in Entertaining
- Entertaining 12.16.20 Cocktail of the Month: Martini
- Entertaining 12.10.20 Recipe: Vegan Pear Cake
- Entertaining 11.12.20 Expert Advice: Setting a Welcoming Holiday Table
- Entertaining 11.10.20 Our Go-To Gift for Food (and Travel) Lovers
- Entertaining 10.26.20 The Booming Business of Booze-Free Cocktails