When in Santo Domingo, do as the Dominicans do — and head to Mesón d’Bari for the best traditional fare. A local go-to, the restaurant offers hearty Dominican favorites, including stewed goat, spicy sausages and crab empanadas. There are two outposts: The original, located in the historic Ciudad Colonial neighborhood, evokes a bygone Dominican timelessness — baseball games on a TV in the corner; bachata music blaring from the speakers — while the latest location, in Naco, is gorgeously sunlit with a tropical interior by Carlos Mota. It’s his first-ever restaurant project and highlights the city’s best assets: beautiful azure skies and lush island life.
More to explore in Travel
- Travel 1.16.20 #DestinationAnywhere: Actress Calu Rivero’s Guide to Uruguay
- Travel 1.8.20 #DestinationAnywhere: 7 Poolside Essentials
- Travel 1.7.20 Must Visit: Maison de la Luz in New Orleans
- Travel 1.6.20 Tory On: Getaways and Great Adventures
- Travel 12.23.19 How Zara Rahim Plans to Reset After a Whirlwind Year