Q: I want to buy a little black dress, but my friends tell me I need to step outside my comfort zone and get something colorful. Is the LBD really passé? — Leah, Charlotte, SC
A: I love color and print, but a black dress is a perennial. It can have a cool edge with some kind of tone-on-tone detail or textural pattern. I especially like the idea of a long sequined sleeve or velvet devore dots. A bold shoe, statement jewelry or a chic envelope clutch is an easy way to make it fresh and different. Navy is also chic and modern for evening. — Tory
More to explore in Style
- Style 1.10.20 You Know The Drille… Or Do You?
- Style 1.9.20 Editors’ Mood Board: A Collage That Pays Tribute to a Crafty Collection
- Style 12.31.19 An Exclusive New Year’s Eve Comic from Your New Favorite Cartoonist
- Style 12.18.19 The Teddy Coat That Le Tout Instagram is Obsessed With
- Style 12.16.19 Last-Minute but First-Class: A Very Special Holiday Gift Selection