The match — one of the defining moments of Seventies pop culture — is brought to life once more by actors Emma Stone and Steve Carell in the new film called — what else? — Battle of the Sexes. Facing off as women’s champion Billie Jean King and former tennis star Bibby Riggs, who insists that no woman can beat him, they trade shots on and off the court. Riggs hands King an oversized lollipop. And King has a symbolic present of her own — a squealing piglet for Riggs. Guess who wins in the end?
The event happened in 1973, at the height of the women’s liberation movement. But the film feels more relevant than ever today. And the tale is also — just like it was then — a crowd-pleaser.
More to explore in Sport
- Music 3.1.19 Tory Sport x SoulCycle Ride Playlist
- Sport 4.9.18 Getaway Issue: To Visit, Antigua’s Curtain Bluff
- Sport 3.18.18 #EmbraceAmbition: Olympian Colleen Quigley on Motivation & Meditation
- Sport 2.9.18 Fall/Winter 2018: The Color-Block Tracksuit, As Seen Backstage
- Sport 1.31.18 Wellness Issue: Building the Body Beautiful