Q: I just read you returned from a whirlwind trip to Asia. I’m a skittish flier — how do you handle such long flights? — Bea, Dallas
A: I’m not the best flier, either, but I do have some rituals to make myself more comfortable. In the airport, I stock up on snacks like almonds, pretzels and hard candies and magazines (from Us Weekly to The New Yorker). I don’t really watch movies on-board, but I download a few books on my iPad — I read Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s Infidel: My Life on our China trip. Because I can’t receive e-mails on my Blackberry, it’s actually the perfect time to catch up on them. I always carry a red ribbon (a family tradition) for good luck, and if I miss my boys, I look through vacation photos on my iPad. Otherwise, I travel with my favorite baby Porthault pillow and try to sleep.
More to explore in Style
- Style 1.10.20 You Know The Drille… Or Do You?
- Style 1.9.20 Editors’ Mood Board: A Collage That Pays Tribute to a Crafty Collection
- Style 12.31.19 An Exclusive New Year’s Eve Comic from Your New Favorite Cartoonist
- Style 12.18.19 The Teddy Coat That Le Tout Instagram is Obsessed With
- Style 12.16.19 Last-Minute but First-Class: A Very Special Holiday Gift Selection