Q: I just read you returned from a whirlwind trip to Asia. I’m a skittish flier — how do you handle such long flights? — Bea, Dallas
A: I’m not the best flier, either, but I do have some rituals to make myself more comfortable. In the airport, I stock up on snacks like almonds, pretzels and hard candies and magazines (from Us Weekly to The New Yorker). I don’t really watch movies on-board, but I download a few books on my iPad — I read Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s Infidel: My Life on our China trip. Because I can’t receive e-mails on my Blackberry, it’s actually the perfect time to catch up on them. I always carry a red ribbon (a family tradition) for good luck, and if I miss my boys, I look through vacation photos on my iPad. Otherwise, I travel with my favorite baby Porthault pillow and try to sleep.
More to explore in Style
- Style 4.1.20 Five Instagram Accounts Making Us Happy Right Now
- Style 3.31.20 Checking in with Espadrille Entrepreneur Libby Fitzgerald
- Style 3.24.20 This Instagram Account is a Treasure Trove of #WFH Fashion
- Style 3.16.20 Stripes: A Love Story
- Style 3.11.20 Watch the New Tory Pop-Up… Pop Up, in the Blink of an Eye