Her latest show, at Marian Goodman in Paris, tackles the video portrait and young dancers in St. Petersburg, Russia. Whether the child ballerina in Marianna (The Fairy Doll), above, or the gymnasts in The Gymschool, the works are fascinating in the way her subjects do and don’t let the viewer in, shifting from dancerly perfection to unmasked misstep and back. As Dijkstra notes of the former, “Is she the real Marianna while dancing so perfectly, becoming at one with her dream, or when cracks begin to appear in that perfection?”
More to explore in Style
- Style 1.10.20 You Know The Drille… Or Do You?
- Style 1.9.20 Editors’ Mood Board: A Collage That Pays Tribute to a Crafty Collection
- Style 12.31.19 An Exclusive New Year’s Eve Comic from Your New Favorite Cartoonist
- Style 12.18.19 The Teddy Coat That Le Tout Instagram is Obsessed With
- Style 12.16.19 Last-Minute but First-Class: A Very Special Holiday Gift Selection