Biçakçi’s signature technique is reverse-intaglio, which allows him to craft those scenic views in the belly of a gemstone. But he’s also a master at miniscule mosaic work and striking creations like bejeweled padlock pendants and an octopus-shaped ring, with a giant South Sea baroque pearl “head” and tentacles that climb over and up the hand. The 192-page Sevan Biçakçi, from Assouline, outlines his story as well as his Ottoman heritage and inspirations in great detail, but, really, it’s the images — and his designs — that speak volumes here.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture 1.17.20 Exploring the World through Vivian Suter’s Gorgeous Brushstrokes
- Culture 1.15.20 Here’s The Book That’s Coming On Your Next Getaway
- Culture 12.25.19 From Us to You — ♡♡♡
- Culture 12.24.19 A Festive Word (and Drawing) From One of Our Instagram Obsessions
- Culture 12.22.19 Say goodbye to 2019 and hello to your new horoscope!