A glimpse at the exotic backdrop for Lisa Eisner’s film
featuring the Rodeo Drive Collection.
Polish opera singer and socialite Ganna Walska married six times, but her true love turned out to be an estate just outside Santa Barbara, California — to which she devoted 43 fruitful years. There, she transformed a sprawling 37 acres into her otherworldly Lotusland, hanging succulents that call to mind jellyfish, planting the swimming pool with her beloved lotuses and collecting priceless rare specimens — some of which are extinct in the wild. Her “million dollar garden” — named after the amount she fetched auctioning off her extensive collection of diamonds, sapphires and emeralds to finance the grounds’ development — is now open to the public, by appointment only.
More to explore in Travel
- Entertaining Insider’s Guide: Tart Caterer Jemima Jones’ London Wed, Jul 1, 2015
- Culture Book Issue: Author Kevin Kwan on China Rich Girlfriend Tue, Jun 30, 2015
- Travel Book Issue: Boat Magazine’s Erin Spens on Best Books for the Globetrotter Sat, Jun 27, 2015
- Culture Hotelier Ian Schrager On: Collaborations & Staying Ahead of the Curve Sun, Jun 7, 2015
- Travel Getaway: Blogger Lucy Williams’ Ibiza Sun, Jun 7, 2015