A glimpse at the exotic backdrop for Lisa Eisner’s film
featuring the Rodeo Drive Collection.
Polish opera singer and socialite Ganna Walska married six times, but her true love turned out to be an estate just outside Santa Barbara, California — to which she devoted 43 fruitful years. There, she transformed a sprawling 37 acres into her otherworldly Lotusland, hanging succulents that call to mind jellyfish, planting the swimming pool with her beloved lotuses and collecting priceless rare specimens — some of which are extinct in the wild. Her “million dollar garden” — named after the amount she fetched auctioning off her extensive collection of diamonds, sapphires and emeralds to finance the grounds’ development — is now open to the public, by appointment only.
More to explore in Travel
- Travel Expert Guide: Jewelry Designer Saskia Diez’s Germany Fri, Sep 19, 2014
- Travel Spotlight On: Beautiful Tennis Courts Sun, Aug 31, 2014
- Travel Julia Chaplin On: Gypset Living Spaces Sat, Aug 30, 2014
- Travel Getaway: Molly Guy’s Maine Coast Fri, Aug 29, 2014
- Travel Photographers Glen Luchford & Doug Bruce On: <br>Venice Beach & The Rose Hotel Wed, Aug 27, 2014