L.A. natives Jordan Klein and Chelsea Neman on their new online gallery to showcase emerging talent — like artist David Kitz, who did the work above.
Jordan Klein: We met freshman year at the University of Michigan. I visited Chelsea’s dorm room the first week and she had this beautiful-grotesque Egon Schiele poster. I had one in my room, too. I remember immediately knowing we were going to be friends.
Chelsea Neman: After we graduated, I was selling a lot of my own paintings while working for an interior designer and Jordon was working for galleries. We wanted to connect those two groups — artists and aspiring collectors.
JK: It’s from Michigan’s Tappan Fine Art Library. When we were trying to come up with a name, we thought that’s really what connected us in the past and inspired us. We remembered all of our long talks and discussions there.
Advice to aspiring art collectors…
CN: Collect what you love.
JK: For people who are into fashion and accessorizing themselves, think of collecting art in the same way. Collect art that says something about yourself, your personal identity and what’s unique about you.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture To See: Alexander Calder at Christie’s & Tory Burch Madison Mon, Apr 21, 2014
- Culture Jill Brooke On: The Need to Say No Mon, Apr 21, 2014
- Culture In Memoriam: Gabriel García Márquez Thu, Apr 17, 2014
- Culture Katty Kay On: The Confidence Code Thu, Apr 17, 2014
- Culture To Do: Tribeca Film Festival Tue, Apr 15, 2014