Chef Dana Minuta gives us the recipe to the perfect bite-sized party starter. She recommends pairing it with Champagne Paul-Etienne
St. Germain Divine.
- Serves Six
3 large Yukon Gold potatoes
1/4 c flour
3 egg whites
1/4 c crème fraîche
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of grated nutmeg
Olive oil as needed
4 oz crème fraîche
6 oz smoked salmon slices
1 oz caviar
30 1/4” sliced chives
Lemon wedges as needed
Bring potatoes to a simmer in pot of salted water. Cook until they can easily be pierced with a toothpick. Remove potatoes from water and place in a 300º oven for 10 minutes to allow them to dry out. Scoop flesh from potatoes and pass through food mill, potato ricer or fine-meshed sieve. Measure out 1 1/2 cups and reserve the rest for another use.
Combine potatoes and flour in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, and mix to combine. Add eggs one at a time, then whites. Add crème fraîche and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Use care when seasoning with salt as the caviar and smoked salmon are both salty on their own.
Heat a nonstick griddle or pan and coat lightly with olive oil. Spoon batter onto pan or griddle in dollops the size of a silver dollar. Cook until golden brown on one side, flip over and finish cooking on the second side.
To serve, place a dollop of crème fraîche, a small slice of smoked salmon, a dollop of caviar and chive sprig on each potato crepe. Arrange on a serving platter and serve with lemon wedges.
More to explore in Entertaining
- Entertaining Interior Design Spotlight: David Netto on François Catroux Thu, Sep 22, 2016
- Entertaining Spring/Summer 2017: Post-Show Lunch Tue, Sep 13, 2016
- Entertaining NYFW Recipe: Santina’s Manganelli Punch & Salerno Sling Sun, Sep 11, 2016
- Entertaining NYFW To Visit: Cha Cha Matcha Sat, Sep 10, 2016
- Entertaining Tory’s Pro Shop: Blueberry & Fig Açaí Bowl Recipe Sun, Aug 21, 2016