Wondering about the shape of things to come this season? Here’s one word for you: peplum. It’s that little flounce at the waist that gives some classic feminine pep to jackets, dresses and sweaters. Plus, its universally flattering, waist-defining powers make it the detail de rigeur for fall.
Proportions are key to tapping into this vintage-inspired trend: a slim pant or skirt plays up the flared hip. To try it out, choose an easy, versatile piece like our Madeline Sweater. For the perfect girl-meets-boy mix, pair it with leather skinny pants in modern, monochromatic black. Or, go for a patterned pencil skirt in shades of camel — peplum and plaid are a natural match. Another option? Bright color. The all-over red of this houndstooth skirt creates a streamlined silhouette that makes the hourglass-accentuating top really pop.
More to explore in Style
- Style Kara Ross On: Accessorizing for the Holidays Thu, Dec 12, 2013
- Style Tory’s Most Wanted: Leopard for Reva Thu, Dec 12, 2013
- Style Tastemaker: Caroline Issa on Holiday Parties & Style Thu, Dec 12, 2013
- Style Looking Good: Thailand’s Meow Praowphan Tue, Dec 10, 2013
- Style Emily Satloff On: Gifts & Tips for the Jewelry Lover Tue, Dec 10, 2013