We asked Tory about her thoughts on internships and starting out, as well as some of the wisest words she heard along the way.
“The one thing that every entrepreneurial journey has in common is that there are many, many steps on the road to success. If you view each one as an opportunity to learn something, there is always something you will take away from that experience. In my past jobs and internships, I have done everything from getting coffee to running interference for shy designers. And I have absorbed the advice of smart people. My parents told me to think of negativity as noise, while a good friend once said to ‘Never shy away from the word ambition.’” — Tory
Read more features from our Intern Issues, past and present.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture Book of the Week: Keith Richards’ Gus & Me Wed, Sep 17, 2014
- Culture To Do: Peter Lindbergh at Gagosian Gallery Sun, Sep 14, 2014
- Culture Book of the Week: Claiborne Swanson Frank’s Young Hollywood Mon, Sep 1, 2014
- Culture Word of Mouth: Nancy Meyers’ The Intern Sun, Aug 24, 2014
- Culture Mentorship: Every Mother Counts’ Clancy McCarty Wed, Aug 20, 2014