Back when women were still referred to as “birds,” Michelangelo Antonioni filmed his art-house masterpiece Blow-Up. Inspired by a fictional murder mystery and the life of famed fashion photographer David Bailey, the 1966 movie can feel a little fantastical today, but it’s high style — both film- and fashion-wise — always looks and feels modern. Then there’s the dream cast: Vanessa Redgrave, David Hemmings, Jane Birkin, Veruschka and Sarah Miles. Birkin, Miles and Veruschka were part of a new generation of plugged-in models and actresses often referred to as “Birds of Britain,” recognizable by their glossy straight hair, eternal pouts and dewy, doe-eyes. While their title might be antiquated, their look is anything but dated.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture 12.3.19 Dine like Igor Stravinsky
- Culture 11.22.19 Your Year-End Horoscope is Here!
- Culture 11.19.19 Tory On: Women’s Entrepreneurship Day
- Culture 11.17.19 Why it’s So Hard to Get a Seat at Tokyo Chef Natsuko Shoji’s Table
- Culture 11.14.19 Get to Know the Woman Behind Sydney’s Buzziest Contemporary Arts Hub