Alex Katz’s new exhibit in Paris opens today at Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac’s outpost in Pantin, in the city’s northeast quarters. It’s a deep dive into his oeuvre in portraiture, with some hundred works dating back 45 years — from his outsize paintings to his aluminum cutouts, iconic works to the lesser-known sketches. For those in the midst (and madness) of Paris Fashion Week, the exhibit offers the perfect cultural escape. Not in the City of Light? You can still soak in the Brooklyn artist’s intense colors and deceptively reductive style; he currently has a show at Mattatuck Museum in Connecticut and another opening at London’s Timothy Taylor Gallery in three weeks.
More to explore in Culture
- Beauty 2.2.17 Love Relentlessly: Meet the Artist, Meghann Stephenson
- Culture 1.27.17 Lunar New Year: Thierry Chow’s Feng Shui Tips to Maximize Good Fortune
- Culture 1.26.17 Lunar New Year: Astrologer Susie Cox on the Year of the Fire Rooster
- Culture 1.24.17 Tory On: The Lunar New Year
- Culture 1.23.17 To Do: William J. O’Brien at Marianne Boesky