What would you think if your husband escaped for the weekend, to Barbados, with your six-month-old daughter, but led you to believe — through missed voice mails and texts — that he was simply giving you a rest while they went upstate to see his family? That’s the premise of Thea Goodman’s compelling In The Sunshine When She’s Gone. The novel explores the fantasy in the mind of every sleep-deprived mother — the idea of time alone — while tracing the way our lives transform when we plunge into parenthood and how, under pressure, marriage can both falter and blossom.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture What’s Your Sign? Aquarius Thu, Jan 22, 2015
- Culture What’s Your Sign? Capricorn Fri, Dec 26, 2014
- Culture Holiday Issue: Greetings from Tory Daily Tue, Dec 23, 2014
- Culture Holiday Issue: Artist Mary Nelson Sinclair on Color, More Color & Best Gifts Sat, Dec 20, 2014
- Culture Word of Mouth: Jewelry Designer Sevan Biçakçi Mon, Dec 15, 2014