Photographer and designer Hanuk chats with us about his new exhibit at The Line, in which he explores ideas of symmetry and loneliness; each abstract painting comes with a twin, cut from the same canvas.
When I thought about certain emotions, or began to feel them myself, I started working on the line drawings. The colors came from the mood I was feeling at the time, often at night, after having had a martini or two.
I basically paint and I look at them. It’s not a thought about process. It just happens.
I began these paintings…
This year, mainly during the spring and summer when people were falling in love. Being alone and thinking about the perfect mate lead me to paint.
My first love…
Music. My mother used to take me and my brother to see the Vienna Boys’ Choir around Christmastime when we were growing up in Korea.
A good work of art should always…
Give you goosebumps.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture What’s Your Sign? Aquarius Thu, Jan 22, 2015
- Culture What’s Your Sign? Capricorn Fri, Dec 26, 2014
- Culture Holiday Issue: Greetings from Tory Daily Tue, Dec 23, 2014
- Culture Holiday Issue: Artist Mary Nelson Sinclair on Color, More Color & Best Gifts Sat, Dec 20, 2014
- Culture Word of Mouth: Jewelry Designer Sevan Biçakçi Mon, Dec 15, 2014