A cinematic Long Island estate that has served as home to both Hitchcock villains (North by Northwest) and teenage naifs (Cruel Intentions), Old Westbury Gardens is also the setting for our Holiday 2013 lookbook. Originally commissioned by American financier John S. Phipps as a wedding present to his homesick British bride, the 44-room, Charles II-style house brims with English furnishings and is surrounded by 200 acres of formal gardens. It’s appeared in films as far-reaching as North by Northwest and Love Story, and inspired the grand Buchanan estate in Baz Luhrmann’s The Great Gatsby. But this house isn’t just a friend of the cinematic arts: a family-commissioned John Singer Sargent portrait hangs in its dining room.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture Spotlight On: Wimbledon Flashback (McEnroe vs. Borg!) Wed, Jul 1, 2015
- Culture Book Issue: Author Kevin Kwan on China Rich Girlfriend Tue, Jun 30, 2015
- Culture Book Issue: Actor & Comedian Aziz Ansari on Texts & Love Mon, Jun 29, 2015
- Culture Book Issue: Painter Natasha Law on Books to Inspire a Young Artist Sun, Jun 28, 2015
- Culture Book Issue: Meet the New Authors on the Scene Sat, Jun 27, 2015