A cinematic Long Island estate that has served as home to both Hitchcock villains (North by Northwest) and teenage naifs (Cruel Intentions), Old Westbury Gardens is also the setting for our Holiday 2013 lookbook. Originally commissioned by American financier John S. Phipps as a wedding present to his homesick British bride, the 44-room, Charles II-style house brims with English furnishings and is surrounded by 200 acres of formal gardens. It’s appeared in films as far-reaching as North by Northwest and Love Story, and inspired the grand Buchanan estate in Baz Luhrmann’s The Great Gatsby. But this house isn’t just a friend of the cinematic arts: a family-commissioned John Singer Sargent portrait hangs in its dining room.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture What’s Your Sign? Capricorn Fri, Dec 26, 2014
- Culture Holiday Issue: Greetings from Tory Daily Tue, Dec 23, 2014
- Culture Holiday Issue: Artist Mary Nelson Sinclair on Color, More Color & Best Gifts Sat, Dec 20, 2014
- Culture Word of Mouth: Jewelry Designer Sevan Biçakçi Mon, Dec 15, 2014
- Culture To Do: Beatriz Milhazes at Pérez Art Museum Miami Sun, Dec 7, 2014