A cinematic Long Island estate that has served as home to both Hitchcock villains (North by Northwest) and teenage naifs (Cruel Intentions), Old Westbury Gardens is also the setting for our Holiday 2013 lookbook. Originally commissioned by American financier John S. Phipps as a wedding present to his homesick British bride, the 44-room, Charles II-style house brims with English furnishings and is surrounded by 200 acres of formal gardens. It’s appeared in films as far-reaching as North by Northwest and Love Story, and inspired the grand Buchanan estate in Baz Luhrmann’s The Great Gatsby. But this house isn’t just a friend of the cinematic arts: a family-commissioned John Singer Sargent portrait hangs in its dining room.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture 3.15.18 #EmbraceAmbition: FounderMade’s Meghan Asha on Top Entrepreneur Tips
- Culture 3.14.18 #EmbraceAmbition: Introducing New York’s City of Women
- Culture 3.13.18 #EmbraceAmbition: To Read, Meg Wolitzer’s The Female Persuasion
- Culture 3.12.18 #EmbraceAmbition: Model Varsha Thapa on Giving Back & Positive Thinking
- Culture 3.9.18 #EmbraceAmbition: Elaine Welteroth on Perfection (Just Say No)