Founded by Shinichiro Ogata of the design studio Simplicity, who’s responsible for the interiors at Andaz Tokyo hotel and the Aēsop shops, Yakumo Saryo is spectacular in an exquisitely minimal and refined way. Every detail is carefully considered. Natural light streams in through skylights and floor-to-ceiling glass walls; diners have a view of a courtyard garden with plum trees. Even the food keeps to that understated and pure vibe — see above photo — and features only local seasonal ingredients. Stop by Monday through Saturday for breakfast, lunch or tea. As for dinner? It is famously by invitation only.
More to explore in Travel
- Travel 1.29.18 Wellness Issue: Art Dealer & Auctioneer Simon de Pury on Romania’s Therme București
- Travel 1.26.18 Wellness Issue: Ally Walsh & Casey Wojtalewicz’s Insider Guide to Healthy Living in L.A.
- Travel 1.26.18 Wellness Issue: Best Hot Springs & Thermal Spas Around the World
- Travel 1.17.18 Video: Tory’s Love Letter to Tokyo
- Travel 1.9.18 To Visit: Tokyo’s Yakumo Saryo Restaurant