- Danielle, left, wearing Tory Sport’s performance striped sweater, pleated hem tennis skirt and chevron-striped sneakers, and Gabrielle, in the performance piqué polo, side-slit skirt and chevron-striped sneakers, photographed by Shaniqwa Jarvis
- Danielle, left, wearing Tory Sport’s performance piqué polo, pleated hem tennis skirt and chevron-striped sneakers, and Gabrielle in the sleeveless tunic top, side-slit skirt and chevron-striped sneakers, photographed by Shaniqwa Jarvis
- Gabrielle, left, wearing Tory Sport’s performance long-sleeve top, pleated hem tennis skirt and chevron-striped sneakers, and Danielle in the performance tennis tank, printed pleated jersey skirt and chevron-striped sneakers, photographed by Shaniqwa Jarvis
Gabrielle and Danielle Prescod are testament to the notion that the family that plays together, stays together. The sisters’ father taught them how to play tennis as soon as they were old enough to hold a racquet, and they haven’t put them down since, having created a powerful (and powerfully stylish) team, whether playing doubles or singles. Here, Gabrielle, Interview Magazine‘s Market Editor, and Danielle, a lifestyle editor, espouse the joys of trying to perfect their net game and having fun on and off the court.
Gabrielle Prescod: My dad started teaching my sister and me pretty much when we developed motor skills… and I’m so thankful he did because now I have the ability to actually play well
Danielle Prescod: I never really had a choice. I think I was playing tennis as young as two. My dad used to let us hit a beach ball with a tennis racquet and then we eventually graduated to a court where he taught us the basics. When we got good enough, we started taking lessons.
I love playing because…
GP: It’s such a social sport. I can rarely recall a time when I didn’t have fun playing tennis. Especially with my family. We play all the time…even major holidays. Danielle and I always win but we usually let my parents win on holidays (i.e. Christmas, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, birthdays, etc.). You know, as a gift.
DP: It is something that our entire family does together, and it’s an amazing game to play as an adult. Every year at Thanksgiving, we play a tennis match called the Turkey Shootout. I mean, who doesn’t want to be a part of that?
My tennis heroes…
GP: Roger Federer and Serena Williams.
DP: Serena Williams and Steffi Graff.
The best game is a…
GP: Close one! I love to win, obviously, but it’s not as fun if you don’t have to work for it.
DP: Game that I win. Just kidding, any game that I am playing with Gabby on my team because we laugh so much.
I define wellness by…
GP: Feeling great! I’m not the healthiest person in the world but I feel great most the time, and I think that counts for something!
DP: Living the healthiest lifestyle you can so that you feel balanced and capable.
GP: Don’t be discouraged! There are so many factors that go into actually hitting the ball, but you can’t get better if you don’t keep at it. If you keep playing, it pretty much becomes second nature.
DP: Don’t give up! Tennis takes so much practice and it is really difficult to master, but the more you play, the easier it will get.
Off-court, my exercise regimen includes…
GP: Going to whatever class Danielle drags me to and, of course, playing tennis with my family whenever I can!
DP: Cycling classes, running, all kinds of dance and yoga.
Favorite health snack and drink…
GP: Almost any kind of fruit, especially summer fruits and water!
DP: Almonds and/or grapes and a matcha latte with almond milk.
The best shot in my sister’s game is…
GP: Not a volley. She is terrified to be at the net… like actually terrified. She once ran up to get a drop shot and realized she was at the net and audibly was like “OMG!” But her backhand is fire. It comes at you really fast when she strikes it and, with the placement, it’s an automatic winner.
DP: Not her overhead — she misses them every time. She is always trying to go 90 mph in a 30-mph zone. Honestly, her best shot is her forehand. It’s so sharp and flat. I love it.
My sister elevates my game by…
GP: Being the best partner. We have so much fun together in general so playing together is just another thing we can do together. She is super competitive so I think she pushes me to play better and harder, but she’s also hilarious. I’m always laughing with her.
DP: Making me crack up on the court. Gabby and I no longer play competitive tennis so it’s so fun when we can laugh and be silly. Our favorite things to do include singing songs while we play, counting scores with our bodies, and dramatic victory dances.
More to explore in Sport
- Sport 9.8.17 Spring/Summer 2017: The Banner Tracksuit, As Seen Backstage
- Music 3.3.17 Tory’s Pro Shop: Playlist, Refresh & Renew
- Sport 3.2.17 Tory’s Pro Shop: To Visit, Trancoso’s Uxua Casa Hotel & Spa
- Sport 3.1.17 Tory’s Pro Shop: Sisters Candice Miller & Jenna Crespi on Studio Fitness
- Sport 2.28.17 Tory’s Pro Shop: Tory on Spring 2017