Beautiful loft spaces, head shots of Robert De Niro and Anne Hathaway and… Edward Hopper’s 1942 painting of nighttime loners seated at a city diner? The connection here is in the photo, top right, of Nancy Meyers’ mood board for her upcoming film The Intern, starring — you guessed it — De Niro and Hathaway. The workplace comedy turns the usual mentorship formula on its head — Hathaway plays the founder of an e-commerce fashion company (that’s her tidy office, lower right) and De Niro, her 70-year-old senior citizen intern. Others in the cast include Rene Russo, Veep’s Reid Scott and Meyers’ own former mentee, her onetime assistant Jason Orley in his acting debut. As for how this all ties together with Hopper’s most famous work, you’ll have to wait a full year till the movie’s release in September 2015. Or keep checking Meyers’ Instagram for more teasers like the above.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture 7.6.17 To Do: Kitty Chou at Hong Kong’s Ben Brown Fine Arts
- Culture 7.2.17 To Do: Ed Ruscha’s Nine Swimming Pools & A Broken Glass at L.A.’s Kopeikin Gallery
- Culture 6.26.17 Exhibits We Love: Magnum Photos’ 70th Anniversary
- Culture 6.24.17 Beach Bohemia: Best Summer Beach Reads
- Culture 6.23.17 Meet the Artist: Jocelyn Hobbie