Book of the Week: Ron Church
Before Blue Crush, before Billabong, there was Ron Church, who captured the spirit of Sixties surf culture with his camera.
Bronzed bods, ripping waves, the nostalgic filter of the Sixties, surf and sand — what’s not to love? Ron Church: California to Hawaii 1960 to 1965 features vintage surfing photographs (mostly unpublished) from the legendary lensman and onetime cinematographer to Jacques Cousteau. And he didn’t snap these cool shots as an outsider looking in; a longtime diver and record-holding spearfisher, Ron became a consummate part of the surf community, even paddling out with his camera to shoot from the water. It’s this truly insider view of a burgeoning youth culture that makes the book so compelling.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture 3.17.23 What’s Your Sign? Aries
- Culture 3.15.23 Calling All Women Entrepreneurs
- Culture 3.8.23 Tory On: International Women’s Day
- Culture 2.17.23 What’s Your Sign? Pisces
- Culture 1.30.23 Good Vibrations