To Do: A Free Man of Color
History and comedy buffs alike will love John Guare’s highly anticipated A Free Man of Color, which opens tonight at Lincoln Center. Set in the rollicking French-occupied New Orleans in 1801, the play follows Jacques Cornet (played by Jeffrey Wright, for whom Guare created the role), the larger-than-life character, who becomes the town’s richest man on the eve of the Louisiana Purchase. Look for appearances by historical figures Thomas Jefferson, Napoleon and Talleyrand.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture 3.17.23 What’s Your Sign? Aries
- Culture 3.15.23 Calling All Women Entrepreneurs
- Culture 3.8.23 Tory On: International Women’s Day
- Culture 2.17.23 What’s Your Sign? Pisces
- Culture 1.30.23 Good Vibrations