Spotlight On: Met Gala 2015
With this year’s Met Gala theme squarely in all things Chinese, designers looked to the Far East for their red-carpet inspirations. Some topped their looks off with riffs on ancient Chinese headdresses; others opted for glammed-up takes on the cheongsam. For Tory, the custom gowns she created for her guests played on the motif — inspired by the museum’s upcoming China: Through the Looking Glass exhibit — in more subtle ways. Like the embroidered red and white chiffon cranes on Dianna Agron’s draped silk chiffon dress. Or the sequined Chinese garden print on Mélanie Laurent’s silk and wool mikado column number. Or the crystal-embellished tunic-and-pant ensemble worn by Maggie Q, a minimal and modern update on Chinese traditional attire. As for Tory’s own jacquard gown, it features a festive print of colorful and in-full-bloom cherry blossoms.
More to explore in Style
- Style 5.11.23 Mother’s Day: Life is a Beach for Michelle Li
- Style 5.11.23 Mother’s Day: Elissa Santisi & Franny Keller
- Style 5.9.23 Mother’s Day: Carla Rockmore Follows Her Inspiration
- Style 5.8.23 Mother’s Day: Telsha Anderson-Boone is Building a Legacy
- Style 5.2.23 Mother’s Day: Becky Malinsky Wants to Finish ‘The Power Broker’