As the French Open gets underway, we remember the French designer Jean Patou and his French muse who helped introduce the world to a classic: the tennis skirt. It was Patou’s radical designs — at a time when covered arms and legs were de rigueur for women, even during sport — that allowed tennis star Suzanne Lenglen to leap and swing her racket with a full range of motion. It might be said they boosted her ability to play — she won Wimbledon and the French Open six times each.
More to explore in Sport
- Sport 2.13.23 Fall/Winter 2023: The Warm Up
- Sport 1.25.23 Feel The Burn
- Sport 1.18.23 Word Of Mouth: Good For A Girl
- Sport 11.14.22 Live from Glasgow: The Billie Jean King Cup
- Sport 9.13.22 Spring/Sumer 2023: The Warm Up