Trend: Smells Like Grunge Spirit
It was the early Nineties. Nirvana’s Nevermind struck a chord with its raw alt-rock anthems. Marc Jacobs’s landmark 1992 grunge collection for Perry Ellis paired flannel shirts with cashmere thermals…and famously got him fired. Those cultural touchstones may be twenty-something now, but there’s no doubt about it: Grunge is back, and brings with it a new take on fall layering. Pile on contrasting prints. Embrace the idea of a button-down shirt, left open over a dress. And don’t forget the lean black jeans. All in the name of a little nostalgic nonchalance…and a lot of cool.
Above, from left, Tory’s Eloise cardigan, Felicia top, Libby top, Denise dress and Super Skinny jeans in black rinse.
More to explore in Fall
- Fall 8.20.13 Fall 2013: Inspiration
- Fall 8.20.13 Fall 2013: Accessories Guide
- Fall 8.19.13 Look We Love: 24-Hour Dressing
- Entertaining 8.16.13 Recipe: Café Sabarsky’s Klimt Torte
- Culture 8.16.13 Did You Know? The Neue Galerie