Word of Mouth: Woolworth Mansion
The grand estates of Long Island’s Gold Coast not only inspired F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby, but one of them also serves as the setting for our Fall 2013 lookbook. Built in 1916 for Woolworth’s founder Frank Winfield Woolworth (and now owned by the brother of former New York governor Hugh Carey), the mysterious, luxe Woolworth mansion houses 56 stately rooms, elaborate crystal chandeliers and an opulent marble staircase. But it’s not all gilt and glamour — a labyrinth of secret passageways and hidden chambers have led to rumors of hauntings…. Mr. Woolworth is said to have been obsessed with the Egyptian occult, after all.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture 3.17.23 What’s Your Sign? Aries
- Culture 3.15.23 Calling All Women Entrepreneurs
- Culture 3.8.23 Tory On: International Women’s Day
- Culture 2.17.23 What’s Your Sign? Pisces
- Culture 1.30.23 Good Vibrations