To celebrate Women’s History Month and mark International Women’s Day tomorrow, we’re kicking off a special issue dedicated to embracing ambition. For Tory, it’s a particularly personal issue. “In my first interview with The New York Times in 2004,” she recalls, “when the reporter mentioned the word ‘ambitious,’ I commented that the word annoyed me. A friend of mine said, ‘You should never shy away from that word.’ She was right. I realized that I had bought into the stigma that women shouldn’t be ambitious — that it was unattractive. That creates a harmful double standard that we must overcome in order to achieve equality.”
For more on Tory’s thoughts about ambition, read her new essay on LinkedIn.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture 3.17.23 What’s Your Sign? Aries
- Culture 3.15.23 Calling All Women Entrepreneurs
- Culture 3.8.23 Tory On: International Women’s Day
- Culture 2.17.23 What’s Your Sign? Pisces
- Culture 1.30.23 Good Vibrations