Book of the Week: Surf Club
From its opening on New Year’s Eve in 1930, the Surf Club was a playground for both Hollywood and British royalty. Frank Sinatra honeymooned there with Ava Gardner. Elizabeth Taylor visited with her first fiancé. The Duke and Duchess of Windsor made it a vacation spot while Winston Churchill spent so much time there, he had two oceanfront cabanas: one for afternoon naps and one for painting seascapes. On the eve of a redesign by architect Richard Meier, the Miami institution gets it due in Assouline’s The Surf Club, which chronicles its high times and seaside glamour.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture 3.17.23 What’s Your Sign? Aries
- Culture 3.15.23 Calling All Women Entrepreneurs
- Culture 3.8.23 Tory On: International Women’s Day
- Culture 2.17.23 What’s Your Sign? Pisces
- Culture 1.30.23 Good Vibrations