Spotlight On: The Campbells
Chelsea driving, Sumatra. Photo: Thomas Campbell
Scott Soens and t.muckluck filmmaking. Photo: Nate Lawrence
Thomas filming skit, West Africa. Photo: Scott Soens
Eclectic Quiver, Rasta, Junod, Stuth, Knost and Carrol. Photo: Thomas Campbell
Jacob Stuth getting ready for camera-board ride, West Africa. Photo: Thomas Campbell
C.J. Nelson one-footed nasal, New Zealand. Photo: Thomas Campbell
Thomas Campbell’s studio
Thomas and Tiffany Campbell are known for creating surf films that inspire even the most committed land-lovers. And they pay as much detail to layering in the perfect songs as they do finding the perfect wave. Thomas, also a fine artist, explores surf and skate culture, while Tiffany has focused on wave-riding women in Dear & Yonder.
- What inspires you about surfing?
- Thomas: Sliding across water.
Tiffany: No two waves are exactly the same. The beauty of the ocean environment, the community of surfers, the history of the sport, the diversity of ways to experience surfing, the physics. I could go on…
- How do you pick the music for your films?
- Thomas: It’s anything that I love and that has a directional movement, like surfing. I am a glutton for new music, so I am always searching and filing away tracks for later use. Mostly, music gets me excited to make art — my favorite band for the last three years is Girls.
- Favorite surf spot?
- Thomas: Sano [San Onofre, California].
Tiffany: Noosa Heads in Queensland, Australia, or 2nd peak Pleasure Point in Santa Cruz.
- Best hidden surf spot?
- Thomas: Ummm, can’t tell you.
- What are you working on right now?
- Thomas: A movie based around my friend Javier Mendizabal, who is an amazing Spanish skateboarder. I’m also working on a series of photographic books based on different topics in surfing. I started my own press called Um Yeah Press.
- What are you listening to right now?
- Thomas: The rain.
Tiffany: New artist Alexi Glickman — on my husband’s label Galaxia.
More to explore in Sport
- Sport 2.13.23 Fall/Winter 2023: The Warm Up
- Sport 1.25.23 Feel The Burn
- Sport 1.18.23 Word Of Mouth: Good For A Girl
- Sport 11.14.22 Live from Glasgow: The Billie Jean King Cup
- Sport 9.13.22 Spring/Sumer 2023: The Warm Up