Everyone zhooshes — that’s fashion speak for smartening up a look. We all know how to say it — /ˈZHo͝oSH/ — but it’s anyone’s guess on spelling it. According to the Oxford dictionary, it’s zhoosh. But both Architectural Digest and The Independent go with zhuzh. Carson Kressley, who brought that term into popular parlance on Queer Eye nearly a decade ago, says tszuj. It can also be spelled as zhooj, soozh, tsuz, jhoosh and joozj. Or the French jeuge and Russian czuzh. (Thanks, Google!) Sure, you could go with words like primp or tweak or spruce or finesse, but zhoosh — however you spell it — just has that certain…je ne sais quoi.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture Meet the Artist: Cecilia Paredes Mon, May 20, 2013
- Culture Curator Yasmil Raymond On: Beacon’s Dia Museum Thu, May 16, 2013
- Culture Spotlight On: Fitzgerald, Gatsby & Catherine Martin Tue, May 14, 2013
- Experts Liya Kebede On: Children & Philanthropy Mon, May 13, 2013
- Culture Mother’s Day: Jennifer Rudolph Walsh On Kids & Reading Fri, May 3, 2013