Word of Mouth: Bill’s
Carrying on the tradition of New York City speakeasies, John DeLucie — he of The Lion and Crown fame — has restored and re-opened Bill’s Gay Nineties, which closed earlier this year after an 88 year run. Now, it just goes by Bill’s, the walls are a deep blue and crammed with fun pictures and mirrors. Bill’s Gay Nineties first opened in the 1920s, thumbing its nose at Prohibition. Then, it was an homage to the drink-swilling, good-times Nineties…as in the 1890s. In turn, Bill’s has such classics on its menu as the Hanky Panky cocktail, made with Dorothy Parker gin.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture 3.17.23 What’s Your Sign? Aries
- Culture 3.15.23 Calling All Women Entrepreneurs
- Culture 3.8.23 Tory On: International Women’s Day
- Culture 2.17.23 What’s Your Sign? Pisces
- Culture 1.30.23 Good Vibrations