How we’ve missed it — the martinis, the murals, its general magnificence… After being closed for more than a year, Bemelmans Bar reopens today. Situated in a corner of the iconic Carlyle Hotel, Bemelmans has been an Upper East Side institution since 1947. Named for the Madeline writer and illustrator Ludwig Bemelmans — who painted the bar’s beloved murals in exchange for room and board — Bemelmans is the best place to be for a taste of Old New York. Live music is performed nightly from 6pm to 9pm but, if you can’t make it in, here’s a playlist to help set the scene from home.
More to explore in Entertaining
- Entertaining 9.12.21 Introducing Tory Burch & Co
- Entertaining 9.7.21 Word of Mouth: Gage & Tollner
- Entertaining 7.14.21 Meet the Designer Behind Brooklyn’s Coolest Floral Studio
- Entertaining 6.29.21 Expert Guide: Four Reasons to Make Time to Dine Together
- Entertaining 6.23.21 Entertaining 101: Summer Style