Alta Moda means high fashion in Spanish. It’s also the name of Mario Testino’s exhibit at his nonprofit MATE art foundation in the photographer’s native Lima, Peru. The show features a series of images that pay homage to traditional local dress, showcasing its brilliance in vivid color, print and embroidery. “I tried to fit as much time and history into each frame as possible,” says Testino, “from the traditional and festive clothing to the Chambi backdrops to the Peruvian people in them.” For those who can’t make it before the exhibition’s closing in September, Alta Moda is hitting New York this fall.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture Word of Mouth: TBF & Women Rule Sat, Dec 7, 2013
- Culture Tastemakers: The de Purys on Art Basel & Gifts for the Art Lover Fri, Dec 6, 2013
- Culture Quote of the Day: Nelson Mandela Fri, Dec 6, 2013
- Culture Book of the Week: Jane & Serge. A Family Album Thu, Dec 5, 2013
- Culture Word of Mouth: A Generation Born Free Mon, Nov 25, 2013