- Jill and Polly in the Bathroom, 1987
- Graham Cracker Box, 1983
- Daughter & Mother, 2002
- The Daughters, 2002
The photographer reveals why she’s drawn to family portraits (see above) — plus, she shares her favorite mother-children images in the history of art.
- I love photographing families because…
They form an interesting dynamic. I’m not sure I love photographing them. These portraits are made with a large-format camera and are quite complicated to produce.
- The first family portrait I ever made was…
Sunday New York Times, which is a photograph of my great friends gathered for a wonderful morning ritual.
- When photographing families, the first thing that always catches my eye is…
The gestures they use to communicate with one another.
- The key to taking an interesting family portrait is…
There is no key to making photographs; it’s hard work, which includes much looking and paying attention.
- The best advice my mother gave me…
Stand up straight.
- My favorite mother-children images are…
Gertrude Käsebier — Blessed Art Thou among Women, 1899
Henri Matisse — The Painter’s Family, 1911
Édouard Vuillard — Madame Jean Bloch and Her Children, first version, 1927–29
August Sander — Mother and Daughter (Helene Abelen with Daughter Josepha), c. 1926
Thomas Struth — Hannah Erdrich-Hartmann and Jana-Maria Hartmann, Düsseldorf 1987
Jan Groover — Untitled (Mother Holding Baby’s Hand), 1981
Rineke Dijkstra — Saskia, Harderwijk, Netherlands, March 16 1994
Patrick Faigenbaum — Famille Garzilli, Naples, 1990
- And I love them because…
There is an enormous history of mother/child imagery throughout Western painting, which fascinates and delights me. It’s thrilling to be part of that tradition.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture What’s Your Sign? Virgo Sun, Aug 23, 2015
- Culture Music Issue: Spotlight on Broadway’s Renée Elise Goldsberry Tue, Aug 18, 2015
- Culture To Do: The Rise of Sneaker Culture at the Brooklyn Museum Mon, Aug 10, 2015
- Culture Meet the Philanthropist: Sugarplum Children’s Lady Jubie Wigan Sun, Aug 9, 2015
- Culture To Do: Wes Anderson Tribute at Joseph Gross Thu, Aug 6, 2015