Everyone zhooshes — that’s fashion speak for smartening up a look. We all know how to say it — /ˈZHo͝oSH/ — but it’s anyone’s guess on spelling it. According to the Oxford dictionary, it’s zhoosh. But both Architectural Digest and The Independent go with zhuzh. Carson Kressley, who brought that term into popular parlance on Queer Eye nearly a decade ago, says tszuj. It can also be spelled as zhooj, soozh, tsuz, jhoosh and joozj. Or the French jeuge and Russian czuzh. (Thanks, Google!) Sure, you could go with words like primp or tweak or spruce or finesse, but zhoosh — however you spell it — just has that certain…je ne sais quoi.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture Word of Mouth: Nancy Meyers’ The Intern Sun, Aug 24, 2014
- Culture Mentorship: Every Mother Counts’ Clancy McCarty Wed, Aug 20, 2014
- Culture Mentorship: Gagosian Gallery’s Christine Erpf Wed, Aug 20, 2014
- Culture Tory On: Mentorship Tue, Aug 19, 2014
- Culture What’s Your Sign? Virgo Sat, Aug 16, 2014