Everyone zhooshes — that’s fashion speak for smartening up a look. We all know how to say it — /ˈZHo͝oSH/ — but it’s anyone’s guess on spelling it. According to the Oxford dictionary, it’s zhoosh. But both Architectural Digest and The Independent go with zhuzh. Carson Kressley, who brought that term into popular parlance on Queer Eye nearly a decade ago, says tszuj. It can also be spelled as zhooj, soozh, tsuz, jhoosh and joozj. Or the French jeuge and Russian czuzh. (Thanks, Google!) Sure, you could go with words like primp or tweak or spruce or finesse, but zhoosh — however you spell it — just has that certain…je ne sais quoi.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture To Read: Richard Diebenkorn Thu, May 21, 2015
- Culture To See: Niki de Saint Phalle at Guggenheim Bilbao Mon, May 18, 2015
- Culture Word of Mouth: Cannes 2015 Sat, May 16, 2015
- Culture Insider’s Guide: Bettina Prentice’s Frieze NY Thu, May 14, 2015
- Culture Word of Mouth: Teresita Fernández’s Madison Square Park Takeover Mon, May 11, 2015