Alex Katz’s new exhibit in Paris opens today at Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac’s outpost in Pantin, in the city’s northeast quarters. It’s a deep dive into his oeuvre in portraiture, with some hundred works dating back 45 years — from his outsize paintings to his aluminum cutouts, iconic works to the lesser-known sketches. For those in the midst (and madness) of Paris Fashion Week, the exhibit offers the perfect cultural escape. Not in the City of Light? You can still soak in the Brooklyn artist’s intense colors and deceptively reductive style; he currently has a show at Mattatuck Museum in Connecticut and another opening at London’s Timothy Taylor Gallery in three weeks.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture Spotlight On: Voltz Clarke Gallery’s Blair Clarke Fri, Oct 9, 2015
- Culture To Do: Shooting For Stardust at Taschen Gallery Thu, Oct 8, 2015
- Culture To Do: The Fabric of India at the Victoria & Albert Museum Tue, Oct 6, 2015
- Culture To Read: Eric Morse’s What Is Punk? Sun, Oct 4, 2015
- Culture Author Gayle Tzemach Lemmon On: Resilience, TED Talks & Living in the “And” Sun, Oct 4, 2015