When it comes to idle beach escapes, Germany isn’t exactly the first destination to spring to mind. But next time you’re jetting off to Munich, where we’ve opened a new store, you can always stop over in the little-known Frisian Islands, in the northeast corner of the country, for some R&R. Sylt is home to 600 species of butterflies — and an annual windsurfing World Cup — while quiet hideaways Langeoog and Borkum (above) offer biking trails, endless beaches and, for the city weary, car-free zones.
More to explore in Travel
- Travel Editor J.J. Martin On: Capri & Getaway Packing Tips Mon, Aug 18, 2014
- Travel Insider’s Guide: Joey Wölffer’s Hamptons Sat, Aug 16, 2014
- Travel Getaway: Designer Julia Leach’s Sweden Wed, Aug 13, 2014
- Travel Getaway: Fashionista’s Lauren Sherman on Japan Mon, Aug 11, 2014
- Travel Word of Mouth: The Ranch at Live Oak Malibu Fri, Jul 18, 2014