When it comes to idle beach escapes, Germany isn’t exactly the first destination to spring to mind. But next time you’re jetting off to Munich, where we’ve opened a new store, you can always stop over in the little-known Frisian Islands, in the northeast corner of the country, for some R&R. Sylt is home to 600 species of butterflies — and an annual windsurfing World Cup — while quiet hideaways Langeoog and Borkum (above) offer biking trails, endless beaches and, for the city weary, car-free zones.
More to explore in Travel
- Travel 5.21.18 To Visit: Côte d’Azur’s Hôtel Les Roches Rouges
- Travel 5.14.18 Getaway Guide: The Gentlewoman’s Penny Martin on Anstruther, Scotland
- Entertaining 5.6.18 Mother’s Day: To Visit, Paris’ Pink Mamma
- Travel 4.25.18 Mother’s Day: Cherry Blossoms Are Here!
- Travel 4.18.18 Berlin Issue: Swantribune’s Insider Guide