When it comes to idle beach escapes, Germany isn’t exactly the first destination to spring to mind. But next time you’re jetting off to Munich, where we’ve opened a new store, you can always stop over in the little-known Frisian Islands, in the northeast corner of the country, for some R&R. Sylt is home to 600 species of butterflies — and an annual windsurfing World Cup — while quiet hideaways Langeoog and Borkum (above) offer biking trails, endless beaches and, for the city weary, car-free zones.
More to explore in Travel
- Culture 7.26.18 Book Issue: To Visit, The Ernest Hemingway Home in Key West
- Travel 7.25.18 Book Issue: Publisher Martine Assouline’s Summer Vacation Guide
- Travel 7.24.18 Book Issue: Model Arizona Muse on Summer Reads & Getaways
- Travel 6.28.18 Meet the Travel Blogger: Spirited Pursuit’s Lee Litumbe
- Style 6.28.18 Summer Getaway: Actress Calu Rivero in Cannes