When it comes to idle beach escapes, Germany isn’t exactly the first destination to spring to mind. But next time you’re jetting off to Munich, where we’ve opened a new store, you can always stop over in the little-known Frisian Islands, in the northeast corner of the country, for some R&R. Sylt is home to 600 species of butterflies — and an annual windsurfing World Cup — while quiet hideaways Langeoog and Borkum (above) offer biking trails, endless beaches and, for the city weary, car-free zones.
More to explore in Travel
- Travel New Year’s: Carlos Souza’s Copacabana Festa Sun, Dec 28, 2014
- Travel New Year’s: Blogger Helena Bordon’s Maldives Getaway Sat, Dec 27, 2014
- Style Holiday Issue: Stylist Pernille Teisbæk’s Copenhagen Christmas Thu, Dec 18, 2014
- Travel Getaway: Harper’s Bazaar’s Joanna Hillman on Ontario Mon, Nov 17, 2014
- Entertaining Shanghai issue: Event Planner Melvin Chua’s Guide to the Entertaining Scene Fri, Oct 31, 2014