When it comes to idle beach escapes, Germany isn’t exactly the first destination to spring to mind. But next time you’re jetting off to Munich, where we’ve opened a new store, you can always stop over in the little-known Frisian Islands, in the northeast corner of the country, for some R&R. Sylt is home to 600 species of butterflies — and an annual windsurfing World Cup — while quiet hideaways Langeoog and Borkum (above) offer biking trails, endless beaches and, for the city weary, car-free zones.
More to explore in Travel
- Sport Sport Issue: To Visit, Nicaragua’s Maderas Village Fri, Sep 25, 2015
- Travel L’Américaine: The Setting of the Film Sat, Sep 5, 2015
- Travel Getaway: Jewelry Designer Pamela Mufson’s San Juan Wed, Aug 19, 2015
- Culture Meet the Philanthropist: Sugarplum Children’s Lady Jubie Wigan Sun, Aug 9, 2015
- Style Entrepreneur: Turquese’s Cathryn Minoli Sun, Aug 2, 2015