When it comes to idle beach escapes, Germany isn’t exactly the first destination to spring to mind. But next time you’re jetting off to Munich, where we’ve opened a new store, you can always stop over in the little-known Frisian Islands, in the northeast corner of the country, for some R&R. Sylt is home to 600 species of butterflies — and an annual windsurfing World Cup — while quiet hideaways Langeoog and Borkum (above) offer biking trails, endless beaches and, for the city weary, car-free zones.
More to explore in Travel
- Travel Getaway: Piera Gelardi’s Southeast Asia Sat, Apr 12, 2014
- Travel Eric Wilson On: My Most Memorable Spring Break Thu, Mar 27, 2014
- Travel Insider’s Guide: Mija Flatau’s Munich Tue, Mar 25, 2014
- Travel Word of Mouth: Munich’s The Charles Tue, Mar 25, 2014
- Travel Tory’s City Guides: Munich Tue, Mar 25, 2014