It’s International Day of the Girl and, to celebrate, we’re turning the spotlight on the film Girl Rising, which launches globally today with screenings all over the world. With narrators such as Cate Blanchett and Meryl Streep, the documentary tells the stories of nine girls — like Cambodian orphan Sokha, picking through garbage for survival — and their journey for education. There’s an accompanying Girl Rising movement too, which campaigns for girls’ education. Did you know that there are 33 million fewer girls than boys in primary school? But that, at the same time, a girl with an extra year of education can earn 20 percent more as an adult? So help us spread the word and, to find the screening closest to you, click here.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture Book of the Week: Claiborne Swanson Frank’s Young Hollywood Mon, Sep 1, 2014
- Culture Word of Mouth: Nancy Meyers’ The Intern Sun, Aug 24, 2014
- Culture Mentorship: Every Mother Counts’ Clancy McCarty Wed, Aug 20, 2014
- Culture Mentorship: Gagosian Gallery’s Christine Erpf Wed, Aug 20, 2014
- Culture Tory On: Mentorship Tue, Aug 19, 2014